Sunday, April 1, 2012

Recognizing my Blessings Amid Trials

March was not a good month for me.  Luckily, the last day of March and the first day of April marked the first General Conference sessions of 2012 for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I proudly state that I am a member of this church.  It is what gives me purpose in life in addition to the motivation to enduring the trials of life so that one day I may return with my Savior, my Heavenly Parents, and family.  It's hard to believe that June 29 will mark 21 years since I was baptized and became an official member.  March 28th marked 20 years that we entered the Frankfurt Germany Temple and were sealed as a family for all eternity.  March 12th marked 2 1/2 years that I was endowed in the Salt Lake Temple.  As we were in Idaho for Grandpa's funeral, my aunt found a tape recording of my Grandpa giving me my baby blessing which took place 29 years ago on May 1.  I took time to listen to it today.  Two lines that stuck out to me were: "The blessing we give her is that you will be blessed throughout this life with all the love she started with...She will go through life with all the help from Heavenly Father that she will ever need."  So I need to rely on the love that I do have in my life in addition to remaining faithful that the Lord will be there for me. 
This past week marked some additional hardships.  Therefore, it is nice to take time now to remember what is truly important.  These include my membership and the blessings that come from keeping the covenants I have made.  At this time, it's really hard to find good things going on in my life as far as events go, but I do have a testimony that helps me push forward through the trials.
It was interesting as I watched Conference to see that there was a reoccurring theme of patiently enduring through the trials and hardships of life.  I would like to share some quotes that stood out to me from Conference:

"Righteous longing and yearning will be fulfilled."  -President Boyd K. Packer

"The blessing of a humble prayer allows for the Holy Ghost to inspire us."  -Elder Paul E. Koelliker

"The Savior's sacrifice didn't end all sacrifice in the Gospel."   -Elder Dallin H. Oaks

"The Lord has promised angels on our left and on our right to bear us up, and the Lord always keeps his promises."  -Elder President Henry B. Eyring

"Don't dwell on old grievances, including yourself."  -Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

"The purpose of covenants is to get ourselves on higher ground."  -Elder Robert D. Hales

"It is through the hardships of life that we grow toward Godhead....In the kingdom of God, there are no second class citizens."  -Elder David S. Baxter

"Look for evidence in your life that He may have already answered you....As you live righteously, you will always be prompted of what to do."  - Elder Richard G. Scott

"Those that cast judgment on others is inexcusable...When the Lord said to forgive all men that includes ourselves...In the end, it is the merciful that will obtain mercy."  -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

"Our degree of gratitude is a measure of our love toward Him."  Elder Russell M. Nelson

" 'Let us run with patience the race that is set before us.'  The prize is given to him who endure to the end."  -President Thomas S. Monson

"Never delay a prompting."  - Elder David F. Evans

"Discipleship is not a competition for all but an invitation to all....Wherever you are on the road of discipleship, you are in the right place."  -Elder Neil A. Anderson

I invite anyone that didn't watch conference to do so, and if you did watch, then I invite you to revisit these talks regularly.
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2012/04?lang=eng

 

No comments:

Background