Last week marked a tough event. On Wednesday, March 14th I was in bed when Julia said that they got a call to tell us Grandpa Elmer had been taken in an ambulance to the hospital. I said a prayer and prayed that the Lord's will be done. I had a feeling that I now believe to have been that Grandpa wouldn't make it through this. What had happened is that my aunt had called Grandpa's house, and he didn't answer the phone. So my uncle headed over there to find that Grandpa wasn't completely coherent. He was helping him into bed when Grandpa passed out. He called for an ambulance, and while waiting, Grandpa passed out again. We got a call at about 9:30 that they had called for an ambulance and received a second call at 10:45. Dad and Greg headed to Idaho on Friday, and the rest of us followed on Saturday. We had some good family time including our extended Elmer family especially as we were able to have a nice family dinner on Sunday. Monday marked saying our good byes to Grandpa. His funeral service was truly a celebration of a great life lived. Unfortunately, we got in an accident on the way from the cemetery back to the church, but all of us including the passenger from the other vehicle made it out unharmed. It could have been a lot worse. That evening marked saying bye to the one place left of childhood memories. It was really hard. Growing up in the military didn't allow for us have many places to revisit as adults. Grandma and Grandpa's home was the one place that we visit and relive memories as a kid. Some memories include trying to open the front screen door without burning yourself on a hot summer day, sitting on the couch and having Grandma repeatedly ask me if I wanted something to eat until I accepted, singing karaoke in the living room, Grandpa calling me Jenny and giving a noogie, and taking long car work trips with Grandpa. One of these trips included lunch at a Chinese restaurant with my sister and cousin where we entered and hoped to win a TV. Needless to say, I didn't want to leave as there would be no going back. It was bittersweet getting home and finding my birthday card from Grandpa. As I thought about it, I realized that it was kind of fitting as the oldest grandchild that I get the last birthday card. My birthday was on March 16th and considering the circumstances at the time, it was a different kind of birthday. Mom and Dad really did do a good job making it a special day and event. Here's hoping that this year ahead will bring some joyous events. I'm still holding out hope that just maybe I will get the one particular event that I feel like I've been waiting forever for. Better days have to be coming.
On my birthday and before my haircut
After my haircut

No comments:
Post a Comment