Sunday, November 4, 2012

You mean I have to wait?!

We live in a society of instant gratification-fast food, email, text messaging, inexpensive phone service for long distance communication, DVR to fast forward through commercials, the ability to order movies in the comfort or your own home, among a number of other things. You used to have to wait to get letters from loved ones. As a kid, I remember not being able to get on the internet if someone was on the phone or vice versa. We had to wait to use the phone because we only had one phone.
The great innovative sense of technology brings many conveniences of which we have an awareness. On the other hand, I've come to the conclusion of some of its negative consequences. One of which is that if feels as though the pace of life has quickened. Due to the lack of having to wait, time seems to go by more quickly in life, generally speaking. In addition, it seems that when we do have to wait, we throw a fit (figuratively or literally). When we want something, we want it here and now.
As I reflect, I find areas in my life where I've had to wait. The lack of instant gratification brings with it a greater sense of satisfaction. My weight loss journey is one instance. It's been a struggle, but I definitely appreciate where I'm at now than I might have if it had been handed to me. Another situation that comes to mind is that of my coworkers. Granted, work is tough, but I finally work with a team where we get along and can relate to one another more easily. It's amazing. In conclusion, I know that I must remain patient in the righteous desire of my heart, that of marriage, because the Lord must have something wonderful in store for me. I will definitely appreciate the fulfillment of this desire more so as I've had to wait longer than others. Oh how sweet that time will be!

No comments:

Background