Sunday, September 2, 2012

To My Future Spouse...

So I've come to the conclusion that life is not going to slow down anytime soon.  I've also come to realize that it's okay.  I'm involved in good causes that are pushing me to grow and become my best self.  My most recent "push" is that of my calling as first counselor in the Young Women's organization.  I am sad to leave my calling of teaching in Relief Society as I grew to love the sisters and come to know of their great knowledge and desire to support others.  I am very excited to serve in the Young Women's organization as a counselor.  I've "secretly" always wanted that calling, but can't believe that I'm "old" enough for it now.
Well, today presented my first opportunity to teach.  The lesson was on group dating.  It provided some reflection on my part of what I really want in a husband.  So what better time than now to check off another item on my 30 by 30 list and write a letter to my future spouse.  As personal as it is, I've decided to share it with you.

                                                                                                           Sunday, September 2, 2012
To My Future Spouse,
     First of all, I would like to say I'm so glad to finally meet you and be able to deliver this letter to my eternal companion.  What a relief!  Honestly, a happily ever after has been the greatest desire of my heart.  I have waited so long for this opportunity and am so grateful that it is here now.  I was asked not too long ago to share my greatest fear.  It was that I was so afraid of being alone.  I have longed for the day to find someone as great as you to marry in the temple and raise an eternal family.
    They say the greatest things in life are worth waiting for, and I believe you must be pretty amazing if I've had to be this patient.  Has it been easy?  NO WAY!  I sure hope that we can prove to each other that it definitely was worth waiting on the Lord's timing.  I strongly believe that I have a greater appreciation of the miracle of marriage because I have had to wait this long.
     More recently, I've come to realize the qualities that are most important in looking for someone to join me in my journey.  I want someone to be my support and strength while at the same time allowing me to do the same for him.  We should be each other's anchor so much so that we are there for the other person before he/she realizes he/she needs it.  I want someone that is the first person I want to call to share good news or to receive encouragement or strength in time of need.  I want someone that knows how to have fun and can make me laugh until my side hurts.  I want someone that I feel secure around.  I want someone that melts my heart when he puts his arms around me.  I want someone that will make time for me and lets me know he thinks about me.  I want someone that makes me feel good about myself.  I want someone that makes me want to be better.  I want someone that loves the Lord and makes time to grow in the Gospel and attend the temple regularly.  I want someone that lives a life worthy of the constant companionship of the Spirit and is worthy to give a blessing at a moment's notice.  I want someone that wants to play an active role as a father and makes our house a home.  I want someone that wants to learn new things with me.  I want someone that supports me as much as I support him.  We should be there for each other through everything.  I want someone that respects me and loves me with his whole heart and tells me so.
     I know that this may sound like I have a lot of expectations, but I am just as willing to fulfill my part in addition to loving you with every fiber of my being.  I promise to be there for you and rely on the Lord to help me be the best wife and friend possible.
     I know that we are only beginning a great journey together, but I know that if we will allow the Lord to be present in our marriage, we will last forever.  I love you and am so grateful for your love in return.  May we always be there for each other and rely on our faith that the Lord will carry us through the tough times.
                                                   Forever yours,
                                                                      Jen

1 comment:

Janelle! said...

Beautiful, Jen. I don't think it sounds like too much, and I'm glad you have your sights set on what matters most! You will have it! Love you to pieces!

Background