Sunday, January 5, 2014

2013 is in the Past

2013 has passed....

Some highlights of 2013 include:

Spiritual Highlights
- I attended the temple on a weekly basis except for one week. I was disappointed that I found out after planning my trip to DC that the temple would be closed. So that broke my 2 1/2 year streak of attending every week. We did take a walk to it that week...so maybe that counts. :) I also added two new temples to those I've attended, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
- I am still enjoying working in the Young Women presidency. I enjoyed a youth conference in Aspen Grove and a week of Young Women camp in Heber. It has been fun to have Julia join the group and jump right in.
- I made a goal at the beginning of the year to write down a thought from Sacrament meeting. I didn't do it every week, but I found that it helped me get more out of being there.

Social Highlights
-First and foremost, I haven't given up on dating yet. Talk about challenges....
-There was one week that I had a date Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There were three other weekends that I had dates Friday and Saturday. 
- I went on a total of 14 dates split up among 5 different guys. Additionally, I talked to a number of guys.
- In dating, I have come to learn that I can stand up for myself as I was confronted with some situations. I also learned that I can trust my instincts and feelings.

Career Highlights
- There isn't much to highlight in these regards. It's provided to be quite a challenge with the group of kids I have this year. 
- I have tried to continue to pursue opportunities to allow me to put my Masters Degree to use.
- I am looking at finding some other possibilities to pursue. 

Other Highlights
- I had a fun and exciting trip to Antelope Island which was covered in snow.
- I took a break from the wintery weather of Salt Lake and visited Zion National Park. 
- I rode in a helicopter.
- I took a family name through the temple.
- I turned 30 and completed my 30 by 30 list which was concluded with a fun party thrown by Mom.
- I became an aunt. The amount of joy that little Carter brings to my life is amazing! 
- I did a zip line. It was quite a fright, shock, and thrill all bundled in one.
- Through an invitation of a good friend, I attended the Manti pageant. That night was full of laughter.
- I completed 9 years of teaching and began my 10th year.
- I took a very full vacation to DC. I had lived in Maryland for 2 years and had done some sight seeing. This trip brought some new firsts: Hershey, tour of the Capitol, Alexandria, Gettysburg, metro, Smithsonian, Arlington, Ford Theater, archives, Martin Luther King Memorial, with a possible addition to other monuments and memorials. 
- I attended the Tuacahn theaters to see Mulan and Thoroughly Modern Millie.
- I attended my first rodeo on a very rainy Saturday.
- I bought a new car...my first small SUV....
- I spent a splendid three days at Disneyland with my best friend, Mom!!!!
- I found out that I will have my first niece due May 2014.
- I succeeded in making strawberry jam. Maybe I'll try canning it this year.
- I attended a favorite concert, Mannheim Steamroller with Mom.

I did something for the first time in reviewing my year. I went back and looked at my journal. I noticed that I wrote a lot about the frustrations of single life and work. I am hoping to make some changes this year to help me feel happier. These are two instances in which I can't change their circumstances too much. So I just have to find ways to better my feelings and better balance all aspects of my life. Stay tuned later this week or next Sunday for my 2014 goals.

No comments:

Background