Sunday, June 24, 2012

I guess I am creative....

I have a hard time with thinking highly of myself.  It wasn't too long ago that we had a lesson where it was stated that this is not what our Heavenly Father wants.  We must not be prideful, but at the same time we can not consider ourselves as worthless.  We are worth much.  We are sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us so much that He sent His Only Begotten Son to die for us.  We are brothers and sisters of our Savior who gave His life that we might live again.  Our worth is great, and I'm beginning to believe that it is crucial that we truly come to know this in order to live a full life.  At the same time, we must find a healthy balance in our self worth in such a way that allows us to progress and improve ourselves while in this mortal life.
Some times it becomes easy to think that we've done something wrong when life is tough or we don't get a righteous desire that we want so badly.  We must remember the concept taught in 2 Nephi 2:11, "For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things.  If not so, my first-born in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad.  Wherefore, all things must remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility."  If we weren't tempted and tried, we would not appreciate the good times nearly as much.  In addition, we will hold those things we wait for in greater regards than if we were given them right away.  I'm learning that patience is the key.  It's a tough virtue to grasp, but necessary to allow for one to endure the journey.
So back to the fact that I've struggled with my own self worth.....
It's funny because I had several different moments this week where friends gave me some boosts of self worth.  It was flattering, but also provided an opportunity for me to realize that I need to think better of myself.  That is what my Heavenly Father wants.
So I have always thought of myself as not creative, but I am coming to believe that this isn't true.  So I will make a positive statement to help me build my self esteem....I am creative.  :)
This weekend allowed me to put my creative talents to use when planning my best friend's bridal shower.  I thought "Happily Ever After" would be fun, but then when I presented some gift ideas to her, she though it would be fun to receive recipes as part of her gifts.  So with the help of another hostess, we changed it to "Cookin' Up Jen's Happily Ever After."  I had fun with the theme.
Here are the two treats I created for the shower.





So I needed to come up with what to do for a gift.  I had previously talked with Jen.  She had talked about how her husband to be aka fiance snores and she thought someone should get her a big container of ear plugs.  So I bought ear plugs and was trying to make it work.  So the thought came to me to do a Marriage First Aid kit, and I did some research on the internet.  It provided some good ideas that I was able to use in order to come up with a finished product that I was happy with.  Then, I made some on my own additions.  My own ideas included the earplugs, tube squeezer, the addition of stem glasses to the instant romantic dinner, and the addition of gum to the kissable kit.









I was pretty happy with the favor I came up with and that I was able to pull the use of a shoe for "Happily Ever After" together with a favorite treat of the bride to be-chocolate (M&Ms) to come up with a favor to thank Jen's friends for celebrating with her.


And may Jen and Adam live happily ever after!

No comments:

Background