Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Youth are Amazing

So this past week afforded the opportunity to help with Young Women's camp.  It's interesting how that opportunity came about.  I had tried to plan two different trips for this week.  The first didn't work out, and I never got around to planning the second the second one.  So when it turned out that they were in great need of help, I was ready.
It was special to be able to go as it was Jody's first year at camp.  I think she appreciated it as well because she hadn't really been looking forward to going.  It was fun to watch her enjoy this experience.
I thoroughly enjoyed the break from all the distractions of life.  I believe that the lack of distractions is what allowed me to grow to love the young women so easily.
I was asked to share some thoughts/my testimony in Sacrament meeting today.  So here are a few of the things I shared.
The theme of camp was Lovers of Light.  So I shared with my ward how the young women in our ward share light.
1) They know how to have fun-good, clean fun.  The young women are fun to be around.  The Savior wants us to enjoy this life.
2) They are very giving and accepting.  They were willing to get up and do things when asked.  They were willing to include others.
3) They are strong, physically and spiritually.  Due to a misunderstanding, we ended up hiking a greater distance than the rest of the stake.  They stayed pretty positive for the most part and trudged forward.  Then, our ward was well represented for testimony meeting. and I enjoyed listening to the girls' testimonies.
I went on to challenge our ward to be there to cheer our youth on and be their cheerleaders because they need it.  So....I challenge you to do the same.  The youth are amazing and fun!

No comments:

Background