-Whenever I smell the scent of cucumber melon, it reminds me of Mom's visit with me at BYU.
-As I drive in parts of the valley, my heart still drops as it brings to surface a relationship that didn't work out (actually, make that two now).
-I grab my keys that have a boondoggle to remind me of my student Ethan and a key chain to remind me of Cadin.
-The bells on my steering wheel remind me of my student Ben.
-A song comes on the radio that takes me back in time. There are still some songs that I can't bring myself to listen to quite yet.
-A set of earrings reminds me of my student Caleb.
-Some other decorations remind me of students-Matt, Billie, and Maya.
It really hit me this week how strong the memory is...
You can be going along with life, but come across an item, scent, or sound that transports you to a different time. It's unbelievable the emotion that accompanies these moments. There are memories I wish I could put aside and forget as the emotions tied to them are too much to handle at times. Then, I realize that the best way to deal with these memories is to make new memories. These memories or life experiences are meant to bring lessons. Therefore, I must take these moments as they come. I can't live in the past, and I can not live in fear that some of life's experiences will turn into tough memories. I must be courageous and take them for what they are to help me become my best self. Then, one day I will be able to look back at some of these memories and be grateful that they are just that-memories, and... I will have come to my happily ever after!
Surpr"eyes"!!
11 years ago

2 comments:
Oh my darling friend. You put to words something that each of us experience every day. It's too bad that we often come across memories popping up that we would prefer could be erased. Let me tell you, it happens to each of us. Even me, after being married for almost 9 years, I still smell things or hear things that remind me so vividly of a relationship that ended badly a LONG time ago. But you are right...with the songs that I have been able to connect to NEW memories or the movies or places that I have experienced with other people the pain is much less and the memory is much better. Just keep replacing those memories. It will happen. You are a super strong woman. :) Love and miss you!
Hi Jen! Thanks for posting on your blog! I need to update mine too. Aren't you grateful for good memories? Sometimes people come and go in our lives... and we wonder why we had to go through the pain, but there is something that can be learned from every relationship and experience. Sometimes it's the learning more about myself that I found most valuable in a relationship that ended. You are amazing, Jen, and don't forget it! And my favorite quote I've thought about since brain surgery by Pres. Monson: "The future is as bright as your faith." Great things are ahead, my friend! Love you, and way to go on doing your 30 by 30 thing! Let's do that lunch soon!
Post a Comment