Sunday, March 27, 2011

Another Year Older...

and wiser. Right?! That's how the saying goes. That is what March marked for me as I celebrated my birthday. I like to think that the festivities began the weekend before as Mom, Dad, the kiddos, and I saw the Disney on Ice "Celebration" performance. Of the three performances that I've seen, it was my favorite. They spotlighted the different holidays using different Disney stories and characters. Here are a few pictures of the event.



The advantage of taking the pictures is that I don't have to be in them. :) So the following Wednesday, my birthday, held lots of fun and surprises. Work was blah in the morning. Then, on my way to lunch I was pleasantly surprised by my friend, Michelle, carrying a cake. She had come to take me to lunch. We went to Subway, our normal hang out last year. Then, she came back after lunch to play basketball kickball, serve cake to my class, and watch Magic Schoolbus. It was so great to feel what it's like to work with a friend again. In fact, it was so good that I cried a little when I came home to tell Mom about it. That night the whole family met at one of my favorite restaurants, California Pizza Kitchen, for dinner. It was nice to have everyone there, despite the fact that they all sang to me in the restaurant. Following, we went back to the house for homemade strawberry cheesecake which was very tasty. I was pretty impressed that I blew out all 28 candles spread amongst two different plates in one breath. :) We had a fun time hanging out together. In addition, I received many texts and emails from family and friends. The kiddos got me some fun jewelery, Jess and Greg got me a Tepanyaki gift certificate, John and Brittany got me a pedicure and purple polish, and Mom and Dad got me a laptop (which was combined with Christmas), a sorcerer Mickey Mouse, and a Disney picture search book. I was taken care of. It was interesting as the day wore on as I grew deeper in thought. Birthdays are a lot different as you get older. It's more a time of reflection as well as wondering if the things you really want will ever come true.
This month has also brought much reflection on the importance of life. There were two deaths at Josiah's middle school this month one of which was a close friend of Josiah. In addition, as I sit here, I'm waiting to hear if Grandpa is well as he was taken in the ambulance this morning because he thought he was having a hard attack. I've received word that it was a precursor to something else, and they are conducting a stress test right now. Life is precious and is not something to take lightly even through the tough times. The Gospel brings so much strength and motivation to push forward in faith when nothing else seems to be enough to keep you going. I am so grateful for my testimony and blessing of having the true church in my life. I just need to surround myself with doing good and everything will turn out as it should: "But learn that he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come." (D&C 59:23)

1 comment:

Janelle! said...

Hi Jen! I'm glad you had some Disney fun for your birthday! It's crazy how fast we are "growing up," isn't it? I love you, and want you to know what an amazing young lady you are! Thanks for keeping in touch and for keeping us updated through your blog!

Background