Sunday, September 5, 2010

Summer is over....

Summer break is officially over, and I have made it through my first seven days of my seventh year of teaching. It's still weird to say that I'm in my seventh year of teaching. CRAZY! So this summer has been filled with some great things:
  • I was able to go and visit my birth state and city for the first time since I was three. Colorado Springs is gorgeous. I went to the Air Force Academy, Garden of the Gods, and the Olympic Training Facility. I was able to stay with the Chatwins, some great family friends we met while living in Maryland. We did many fun things including seeing How to Train Your Dragon.
  • I saw Toy Story 3. It was a really great movie.
  • I took Mom on a trip a trip to southern Utah as her Birthday and Mother's Day presents. We had a great time. We saw Tarzan, went to the arches, and I was able to go horseback riding for my first time. I loved it and really want to go again! I also got my first facial=wonderful!
  • I made a visit to the Hogle Zoo. It's been a couple years since I've been there.
  • I went skating with Mom and the girls and had a pampering night for the girls where Mom and I gave them facials and pedicures.
  • We had a fun barbeque with Mom's stepsister/cousin that she has just become reacquainted with. Carla's daughter, son in law, and grandchildren were able to come, and we had one of the best bbqs in a long time.
  • I sold back all of my books used to get my Masters.
  • I went out to Mom's work a couple of times to help out.
  • I made homemade strawberry jam.
  • I hiked Timpanogos Cave with my bestie Chell. It was a really nice day, and we made it to the top in 45 minutes which we felt really good about.
  • I went on a date. It was tough to do, but did it. Not much luck since then.
  • I planned and put on a Relief Society bbq as my calling is Enrichment leader. I also carried through my first Enrichment night with the help of Mom.
  • I finally hiked to the top of the "Y" in Provo with Jen....and I thought Timpanogos was tough....haha
  • I saw The Sorcerer's Apprentice-a great show.
  • I graduated with my Masters in Educational Administration. I never would have imagined doing so. It's great to be done.
  • I was able to spend some time with some friends I haven't seen in a while- Jen Keate, Sommer Young, and Melody Howe now Bruin.
  • I had two visits from my home teachers. They're awesome!
  • I went to the temple a couple of times namely-Jordan River, Salt Lake, and Manti.
  • I saw My Big Fat Utah Wedding at Desert Star with Mom and Chell. It was hilarious.
  • I helped my parents with some home improvement projects which included lots and lots and LOTS of painting.
  • I got a good number of work projects completed/started that I've been putting off because of being busy with other things.
  • I was able to go to Sundance and walk around to enjoy the outdoor beauty with Stacie. It was raining. So we enjoyed two of my favorite smells-outdoors and rain.
  • I met my bestie's soon to be fiance and husband in May. I've missed being able to see her.
  • I got to spend a lot of time with Mom. I love her so much even if she did get me used to getting a strawberry vanilla diet coke just about every day. I think I had withdrawal headaches last week. :)
  • I made a second trip down south to Moab with my single's ward due to some peer pressure. I had a really good time. I was able to go whitewater rafting for the first time. I was very grateful that it was a pretty calm river to raft on.
  • I had a guy ask for my phone number while I was at Walmart one day. That's never happened. It was quite the self esteem booster. I'm guessing he's not LDS because he found out that I'm LDS and hasn't communicated with me since then.
  • I took a few trips out to work to prepare for the new school year. Mom and the kiddos came out two different days to help which was a lifesaver. It's become a tradition that they come out and help me before school starts.
  • I spent an afternoon at Incredible Pizza Factory with Mom and the kiddos. It's a pretty fun place.
  • I made and canned mustard pickles with Mom.
  • I caught a really bad cold.
  • We had an all movie day.
So there you have it. My summer break was busy and lots of fun. I'm sad to say good bye. I've loved having so much time with my mom. My work situation is a little tough this year as I really don't have a close friend to lean on, but I'm thinking that this bunch of kids look like a good bunch. Knock on wood.... I've already been told I'm beautiful, pretty, well dressed, fun, and the best teacher ever. I have included a picture of a gift I received on the first day of school. It's a pencil made from a Rolos pack and Hershey kiss-pretty cute. I'm hoping that after this "catching up weekend", I won't have to do nearly as much at home work at nights and on the weekends.

1 comment:

Janelle! said...

Wow, way to document your summer, Jen! I'm glad it's been full and fun... unfortunately it goes fast too! Congratulations on finishing your masters and being in your 7th year of teaching! Awesome! Hope it's a great year for you!

Background