Sunday, November 20, 2016

Samuel's Arrival

Samuel wasn't due until October 5th but.....

On Wednesday, September 28 I was at work. I had walked outside to let kids into my portable. When I came in I noticed my vision was acting up, but I had thought it was just my eyes adjusting from the sun outside to the indoor light. Just a little while later I was reading a book to my students. It was the strangest experience ever because I had a very difficult time processing words as I was reading. I'd never experienced before. I kind of brushed it off as being from not getting much sleep. Then the third strike hit as I was sitting at my desk after school and noticed that the right side of my face and my right hand went numb. I called in and was told to come into labor and delivery. Joe picked me up from work, and we headed over. They set me up in a triage room. After monitoring me they said they thought it could have just been a migraine. I thought that it was weird because my head wasn't hurting. Then they had noticed I had a few high blood pressure readings while there along with some from past appointments. So they wanted to run some tests and monitor me a bit longer. Well three hours later they sent me home with the order to take it easy at work the next day and go to my scheduled check up. Joe had the idea of going out on a date which would turn out to be our last date before Samuel's appearance. When I got home I decided to take the next day off of work.

On Thursday, September 29 I stayed home from work to rest. That afternoon I had a check up appointment. So I got there to find that my blood pressure was reading high once again. So it was back to labor and delivery to be monitored for 20 minutes (right?!). Joe had the brilliant idea of stopping to get something to eat first which was a genius idea. We went to labor and delivery and because they were out of triage rooms we were put into a labor and delivery room. It soon looked as though they were going to send me home once again but this time I'd need to collect my urine for 24 hours to see if there was protein present. Joe and I were quickly becoming frustrated. We were getting tired of what looked as though we'd be making frequent trips to and from the hospital. We asked about induction to which it didn't seem would be an option, but lo and behold they finally gave us the okay. IT WAS BABY TIME! It seemed a little unreal. :) Soon enough it would become very real. I was only dilated to a 1 and my cervix wasn't really in a rush. So they decided to give me cytotech to soften it. This continued over the course of the night and as a result I didn't get much sleep.

So this brings us to Friday, September 30. They checked to find that not much progress had been made. They told me that I could eat breakfast, and then they'd try another round of cytotech. Well shortly thereafter the anaestesiologist came in to notify me that in fact I couldn't eat if I was doing another round. Their idea was for me to sit in another room, eat three meals over the course of the day, and try again that evening. Joe and I sided with doing another round right away. They came in just after 10 to do that. Then just before 1 they checked to see I was still a 1 and 80% effaced, but because his head was so far down, they broke my water. About 2 hours later they started pitocin with my epidural about 30 minutes later. A 6:00 check showed that I was at a 3 and 90%. So Joe finally took a break to get something to eat. While he was away I had some pretty painful contractions, got quite nauseous, and finally at 7:40 I was at an 8. I had the option of getting redosed for the epidural, but it was taking too long. So I passed. At 8:26 I started pushing until he was far enough down to call the doctor in. Samuel Joseph Green made his grand entrance into the world at 8:55 pm weighing 8 pounds 10 ounces and measuring 20.5 inches and a head of 38 inches. I was able to do skin to skin right away and was blown away by how amazing this whole experience was and the moment I got to hold him. After he was all cleaned up I was able to nurse him. Then we were taken to our room. This day will definitely go down in my mind and heart and soul as one of the very best days of my life. Here are some pictures of the big day thanks to my sister Jess for taking charge of our camera.

























No comments:

Background