Sunday, February 16, 2014

Love One Another

And no the idea of this post did not stem from the fact that Valentines Day was Friday, but I guess the timing is fitting.
So we know that the most important commandment is to love the Lord our God with our whole being. The second commandment is to love our neighbors.
I think I have come to conclusion that it is much easier for most of us to show our love for God over our neighbors. I'm not quite sure why that may be entirely. One thought is that we all know that God loves us unconditionally. So that might be why is comes more naturally to love God.
There was an instance this week that came to my attention that hurt. I found out that a past employer may be the source of my inability to explore other career opporunities. It lead me to realize my need to compliment others. Our first instinct when we receive bad service is to make our complaint heard. What about when we receive great service? Do we always make that heard? In my line of work, I am often told when I am not doing a good job or what other's perceive as so. I am very rarely praised for a job well done. A nice word would go a long way to provide encouragement for others who are putting their best foot forward.
Another observance I've made is that we have a difficult time with really listening to others. I am guilty of this just as much as the next person. When others are talking to you, it is important to really listen in such a way that the other person doesn't question your interest. What you have to say shouldn't become so important that you brush off what someone else is trying to share with you. If you're that afraid you'll forget what you want to share, write it down. That way you can focus on the conversation instead of trying to remember what you want to say.
It is important to go forth and keep the second greatest commandment. Go forth and show others that you love them.

No comments:

Background