This week has been full of blessings. It started on Monday as I received a text complimenting me as well as invitation to go out twice this week. That night, I was able to attend Mom's and Josiah's Middle School's play, Beauty and the Beast. I was able to go with Mom, Julia, Jody, and Jody's friend, Bethany. It was pretty impressive how well they did. I was taken aback by a man's behavior before the play and just as surprised as I stood up for our girls. :)
Tuesday marked a great surprise. I received a call from a colleague telling me that her husband had called because he'd heard my name mentioned on KSL radio as I was the Teacher Feature. I was shocked. I kept checking KSL online to see when it was posted. Shortly before noon, I saw my name posted. I was completely surprised (Jenniffer Elmer - Silver Crest Elementary School | ksl.com). This job is tough, and it was nice to know that someone noticed my efforts and took time to send it into KSL. It made my day.
Wednesday night brought date #5 as we went for a drive, talked, and saw a movie. It was good to see him, but really tough to fight and stay awake after a full work day.
Friday morning brought some praise from my principal. She pulled me aside to tell me my students are making great progress. She had me come to her office to show me some graphs. She told me that my class is doing significantly better than the other third grade classes as was the case last year. She wanted to know what I'm doing. I honestly don't know. She mentioned video taping me teach and studying me to share with the other teachers. It was really nice to get called in to be told I'm doing a good job.
Saturday allowed for another adventure. We headed downtown at 9:30ish to explore the church history museum. We spent just over three hours there and had a good time. We ate lunch at a small Indian Cafe. Then, we went on a walk through the neighborhood to look at the houses in the area. There are some really cool looking houses in Salt Lake. :) We finished off with a visit to the Cathedral. I felt like I was back in Germany as we studied the detail. Then, I got back home in time to change and make it to Garrett's baptism where I gave the talk on the Holy Ghost. I have included my talk as the last part in this post if you are interested in reading it. :)
Tomorrow will mark the end of my Biggest Winner Challenge at work. I made it three weeks without sugar and soda. I exercised like crazy. I may not win, but I did meet a huge challenge and did better each week in accumulating a greater amount of points. :) I can't wait to eat something sweet tomorrow. Although I did it, I don't think I will do it again if I have anything to say about it. :)
Throughout this week, I've learned a couple of lessons. One of which is that I should take compliments in a more thankful matter. I have received a number of compliments from dating, my principal, and a parent of two of my past students. It takes a lot of thought and heart to give someone a compliment. I shouldn't belittle myself after receiving a compliment, but instead take it with a grateful heart. I think this goes for being grateful for blessings as well. As I've felt that I have been blessed more than I deserve lately, I'm trying to remember to have a thankful heart. The other lesson that I learned was that I should live in the moment and enjoy it without over thinking what's going on in my life. As I read my patriarchal blessing today, I was reminded of the importance of remaining patient and faithful as I await the fulfillment of promised blessings. I will receive the righteous desires of my heart as long as I remain faithful. Therefore, I know that I should enjoy the current adventures in my life.
Take Time to Stop and Build Your Relationship with the Holy Ghost
You have just been given a great gift. As long as you are worthy, you will have the
Holy Ghost to guide you in making decisions, bring comfort to you in trials,
and allow you to enjoy blessings.
Heavenly Father is willing to give you the constant companionship of the
Holy Ghost as long as you do all in your power to remain worthy. What must you do to keep the companionship of
the Holy Ghost? You have to stop and
take breaks from the busyness of everyday life.
You have to stop to take time to do what’s really important.
First, you must study. 2
Nephi 31:20 tells us: “Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in
Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.
Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting
upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end,
behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.”
We have been given the scriptures to learn what we are to do
while in this life. Study them. I challenge you to read one page a day and
ask questions when you don’t understand.
I can promise you that the Holy Ghost will speak to you of the truth of
the words you read. You will grow to
love the influence of the Holy Ghost as you study the scriptures.
As you study and fill the influence of the Holy Ghost, you will
desire to share your testimony with others.
Therefore, your next responsibility is to testify. 1 Timothy 4:12 states: “Let no man despise
thy youth; but be thou an example of the
believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in
purity.” There are many ways to share
your testimony. I believe the greatest
testimony of all is that of example.
Live in a way that others will want to know Christ because of the
example you set.
As you have learned, you know that the Holy Ghost will guide you in
your life. If you desire to receive this
guidance, then, you must obey. We read
of a great example in 1 Nephi 3:7: “And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said
unto my father: I awill go and do the things which
the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no bcommandments unto the children of men,
save he shall cprepare a way for them that they may
accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”
When we receive direction from the Holy Ghost, it is from Heavenly
Father. Heavenly Father will not ask us
to do something that He doesn’t know we can do.
If you get to the point that you don’t feel you can do
it-pray. It is through prayer that you
have the opportunity to ask for help and strength. Psalms 102:17 states: “He will regard the prayer of the destitute, and not despise their prayer.” Heavenly
Father listens to your prayers and will bless you as He sees fit. Trust in Him, and turn to him daily.
These objects have been
placed in this bag as a gift to help you remember your responsibilities in
strengthening your character in a way that will allow the Holy Ghost to always
be with. Remember to study, testify,
obey, and pray. The Lord loves you and
desires you to return to Him. It is
through the guidance and direction of the Holy Ghost in addition to your
faithfulness and endurance that you will earn eternal life.

No comments:
Post a Comment